Your SheShed Kitset Options

Browse the options below to see all our kitset sizes, and click on a cabin picture to see more details about that specific kitset.

Do you have any questions? Call us - We would love to help!

Australia: 1800 316 583 | New Zealand: 0800 626 500

SheShed kitsets are pre-approved as Class 10A non-habitable sheds that can be exempt from requiring development consent when building in NSW, as long as you follow some specific rules. See our summary of the relevant points below, or Click here to read the full NSW legislation.

Answer the quick questions below to test your consent status:

Click on the toggle-button options below to preview your likely consent status.

The very first rule is that it must not be constructed on or in a heritage (or draft heritage) item, or on land in a foreshore area, or in an environmentally sensitive area. If it is in a heritage (or draft heritage) conservation area, then it must be located in the rear of your yard.

Will your shed be connected to sewerage or water supply services?

Composting toilets and rainwater collection may be ok, but you'll need to check with your local council as there may be other requirements for these.

No it won't
Yes it will
Good news, no development consent needed yet.
You will need to apply for development consent.

Is your property zoned as rural land?

RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4, RU6 or R5
All other zones
Good news, you can build all our kitset sizes without development consent, as long as its at least 5m from each lot boundary.
Still good news, you can build all our kitsets that are 20m2 or under without development consent, as long as its at least 900mm from each lot boundary.

Additionally, if you're building on any zone other than RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4 or RU6, your shed must be "located behind the building line of any road frontage". (We really don't know how this gets applied to properties that are corner sections!)

Is your property considered to be bushfire prone land?

No, not a bush fire prone area
Yes, is considered bush fire prone
Great news for you, and no development consent needed.
The good news is that as long as you build your shed at least 5 meters from any dwelling, then no development consent is needed.

Are there already 2 or more other developments on your lot?

(Including but not limited to carports, other garden sheds, gazebos and greenhouses etc)

Less than 2 existing developments
Already 2 or more existing developments
Good news, no development consent needed yet.
You will need to apply for development consent.

Here are a few more requirements for all sheds built in NSW to qualify for an exemption:

If you don't meet one of the points below, you might still be able to build your shed, but you will most likely need to check with your local council and/or get planning approval.

  • Be located at least 1 meter from any registered easement.
  • Not be taller than 3 meters. (Only our Lake Cabin Kitset is taller than 3 meters.)
  • Make sure any roofwater is disposed of without causing a nuisance to adjoining property owners.
  • It cannot interfere with the entry to, or exit from, or the fire safety measures within another building.

Well that wasn't so scary was it! On the other hand, if it turns out that you are likely to require planning approval or development consent, you can find more information about your next steps here on the NSW Planning Portal website.

Now What's the Next Step?

Whether you need to get building consent or not, there are a few other things you'll need to have a check of as well.

1. Will your cabin comply with your local council's District Plan?
Each council creates its own District Plan specific to its area, so rules may vary depending on where your project is located. You must check with your local council to make sure your proposed building work complies with the District Plan. If it doesn't, you will need a resource consent before building work starts.

2. Will your cabin comply with other legislation?
You may need to consider additional rules and legislation, such as the Resource Management Act 1991.

3. Even if (based on the questions above), you do need to get council consent, your local council has the authority to grant you an exemption from it at their own discretion.
An example of this, is someone who needs to include plumping facilities in their cabin for use as a pottery studio. The use of "plumping facilities" would normally require a building consent, but as long as nobody will be sleeping in the cabin, most local council's are willing to provide an exemption in cases like this.

For more information about building rules, check out:

Would you like some help figuring out which cabin would suit your needs best? Schedule a call today:



test content